Are you interested in getting paid to support other NTU students whilst developing skills that will make you stand out? Each year, the Collaborative Engagement and Retention Team (CERT) works with schools at NTU to recruit Student Mentors. Mentors support first year students throughout the academic year by running events and signposting to opportunities and services. This is a great opportunity to develop a diverse range of skills, from leadership to event management.
What are the benefits of being a CERT Student Mentor?
CERT Student Mentoring:
- Is a paid opportunity where you’ll work casual hours, fitting around your studies and social life
- Looks great on your CV, boosting employability with skills such as leadership, time management, problem solving, communication, event management, active listening and teamwork
- Is an opportunity to give something back by supporting first year students with their transition
- Is recognised on The Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR). All undergraduates are eligible for this electronic report that includes details of your degree classification, exam results, modules taken, and verified extra-curricular activities
- Can be included in your work towards the Accerler8 award (22 hours of mentoring can be included in your submission)
- Is an excellent opportunity to develop networks with a range of academics and professional services staff from your School.
How do I apply?
Recruitment for the 2020/21 academic year is now open. We close recruitment for each course as soon as we have the required number of Student Mentors, so we recommend applying early.
WHAT IS A CERT STUDENT MENTOR?
Starting at university can be a big transition and we want to make it as easy as possible for all students. The Collaborative Engagement and Retention Team (CERT) focus on building strong communities across NTU so that we can help first year students to feel at home. We work with Student Mentors to run events with the aim of supporting students to settle into university and get the most from their time at NTU. Every first year student is assigned a Mentor from the same course as them in a higher year.
New to NTU?
At NTU you’ll find lots of people on hand during Welcome (and beyond) who are ready to help you feel at home. One of these people is your CERT Student Mentor.
Student Mentors are second year, final year, or postgraduate students who
studied the same course as you. It’s not been long since they were in exactly
the same shoes, so they’ll understand how you’re feeling, and are on hand to
answer questions and have a chat.
They’ve been specially chosen to help you to settle into life at NTU and to encourage you to take part in the many opportunities available to you through your School, the University and the Students’ Union (NTSU). They will share their own experiences of being a first year, provide peer-to-peer support and point you in the direction of the right university departments so that you have everything you need to be able to succeed at university.
If you’re not sure who your CERT Student Mentor is and you’d like some help getting in touch with them please
Please include your name, email address, course title, N number and details of your enquiry.